1. Organization introduction
- Name: VaVa Cu Chi
- Established year: 16/11/2009
- Address: Provincial Highway 8, Quarter 2, Cu Chi town.
- Representative: Ms. Pham Thi Loan
- Title: Vice-Chairman of the Association
2. Project proposal:
- Location: Tan Thanh Tay commune, Hoa Phu, Trung An
- Implementation period: 17/5/2016 - 25/5/2017
- Direct beneficiaries: 28 disabled children aged 7 to 15 years old.
- Indirect beneficiaries: 50 Parents in Tan Thanh Tay commune, Hoa Phu, Trung An
Challenges in the beneficiary community:
- The number of children with disabilities who cannot attend school is scattered in six communes of Cu Chi district, Tan Thanh Tay commune, Hoa Phu, Trung An, Pham Van Coi, Thai My, and Trung Trung Thuong.
- Due to their inability to attend school, children do not develop well in their cognitive and communication skills with others. Children often live quietly and secluded from society, with few parents giving them opportunities to play outside, such as taking them to the park or to a children's activity.
- When their age is too large for the prescribed age for schooling, there is no school that accepts them to study, without knowledge, they cannot study career guidance. They are therefore illiterate, unemployed and unable to support themselves in the future.
The project will pilot 1 literacy class for children with disabilities at the Public Primary School in Tan Thanh Tay commune to serve 12 disabled children in the commune and 16 children in two neighboring communes: Hoa Phu, Trung An. The total number of children participating in class is 28.
- 50% increase in literacy for disabled children, have the ability to read and write, recognize letters, and can do simple math addition and subtraction in grade 1.
- A primary school curriculum is suitable for children with disabilities with 4 different types of disabilities: hearing loss, cerebral palsy, Downs syndrome, dementia, in addition to helping children enjoy school and diligence in learning.
- Parents are more concerned with their child's learning than neglect and 28 to 50 parents contribute ideas to the classroom activities at monthly meetings.
- A Parent Representative Board was established, step by step operating in parallel with the Association in the future.
- With the support and participation of the People's Committees of Tan Thanh Tay, Hoa Phu, Trung An communes. The administrators and teachers of Tan Thanh Tay Primary School aim to remove barriers in admitting children with disabilities to integrated education in public schools.
- There are 28 children with disabilities such as cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, deaf, dementia. Being able to read and write, or recognize the letters of Vietnamese book 1 from Lesson 1 to Lesson 27, and perform Math exercises 1 from lessons 1 to 29 when participating in classes for children with disabilities.
- After a year of the project, the operation was established, the Parent Representative Board will join the classroom management association in the future.
Give us a hand
Join our project as a volunteer by send us your email.